Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Slot board life


Until November came and knocked at my door, I hadn’t realized what a sprinter, time is. When I sense a flimsy aroma of Christmas happily dancing in the Colombo air and the monsoon makes its way down to earth from sky, I, the lazy one as always, sit on my bed cross-legged and find myself already thinking about 2011.

How often do I find myself thinking about trivial things over and over again when the more important things go unnoticed and forgotten? How often do I get accused of being opinionated and how often I wrack my brains thinking of ways to come out of it? When looking forward, I realize that learning to plan the remote future is far easier than learning to live in the immediate present.

Becoming a shape-shifter to accommodate and tolerate the egos and hypocrisies of the people around me is an art I am still mastering. Be it at the university or even inside the editorial, accepting people for what they are is something that has to be practised constantly. When it comes to friends, it is always easy to take them for what they are and see them through even if you can see through them. But treating a stranger in the same way is something closer to generosity.

Conflicts are natural when you move among people who have brain waves of different lengths and textures. Be it a simple reason or a critical one, confronting a friend is always more difficult than confronting a mere acquaintance. But at the end of the day, I should make sure that I do not take a sore work-heart home.

After all, life is like a slot board and living is dropping the correct word strip on the correct slot. It seems to me that the coming days are all about figuring out the right word for each place.

No comments:

Post a Comment