Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 6, 2010

A gift for Lady Green


All of a sudden, I began to miss the sweet Christmas chill I felt at the dawn of every December. The alien dampness that has replaced it didn’t leave me any space to cheer up.
The chill used to draw dry patches on my face and arms. It left my heels cracked and rough. But, at the same time, it had a strange sense of relaxation. It prepared me to receive the year-end festivities in full cheer and look ahead for the beginning of the New Year. It was then that I realized it was nature’s way of relaxing before making schedules for the coming year.
When the loss hit me hard, I childishly thought perhaps it was my fault that I never said it out loud how much I loved it. Obviously, we have mistreated nature so much that we can no longer expect her seasonal treats and surprises.
Last morning, the Met Department only broke my bubble saying the rainy weather will prevail till the end of the month. In other words, this December won’t be like any other December I passed through in my life; which got me thinking how carelessly we handle things we ought to cherish and how badly we take things for granted.
Christmas comes closer and closer. For those who do not look beyond the festivities and shopping sprees in Christmas, throttling the slender neck of nature with every plastic toy they purchase and every polythene bag they carry around is pretty much of an easy task. Christmas, I see, is a time to feel the pleasure of giving and rejoicing in the gift of generosity. It is sad that we only think of people when we go to present things and completely forget the soil we set our feet on, the air we breathe and the water we pour down our throats. In return to their gifts, we keep dumping the soil with the undegradable materials; we violate the air and pin-prick the flimsy ozone layer.
Perhaps it is not too late to show your generosity towards the Lady Green. If not out of love, it should come in way out of respect and obligation. Take the risk and celebrate the next Christmas in the second Sahara desert, or exchange your gifts in a flood-rescue boat. The decision is up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment