Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Calm as a swimming pool before dawn


World spins at such a speed that I have forgotten a good three-quarter of things I used to do when I was a teenager. Keep looking at past gives you good training to look at the things ahead of you. I draw inspiration from running back to the school days nuzzling those memories- with one hope that, one day sitting on a cozy window seat I would be able to scribble every bit of it into a book.
People may be clinging into their past for so many reasons. Some may be suffering from the impossible yearning of going back to their past or even worse, wishing if they could stop there forever. Clinging into the past or perhaps comparing your present self with your past-self often make you more depressed than cheerful.
People are scared of change. And there are some of us who are scared about the fact that things won’t change. It is just a matter of how we accept things that come our way without cursing or glorifying our history. So, when Di asked how I can be “so calm like a swimming pool when there is no one in it” I was wondering whether she has seen too little or too much of me.
Being ‘calm’ does not necessarily means that I’m always cool. There are enough and more instances when I lose my temper with people who love to toy with it. But if being calm means being content- that I certainly am.
My beloved teacher Mrs. Rajasingham, fondly known as Raj among us girls, always used to tell us that happiness is internal. Specially when we were studying Narayan’s ‘The English Teacher,’ she used to touch on the heavier subjects such as spiritual bliss and self-satisfaction. As a seventeen-year-old, I might not have grasped the fullest truth of her words, but in the years that followed, I certainly did.
I believe life would be easier to live if you can realize that the world does not evolve around you, rather, you are evolving in the universe along with the world. The world will not stop spinning just because you have broken up with your loved one or shifted houses.
Selfishly I thought that worrying about things that are beyond my control is pointless. However, that does not mean that I shut my eyes and ears to injustice, poverty or even environment pollution.
If something constantly tugs at my conscience I would write about it and see that it goes on print with the hope it will fall on the way of some one who has ways and means of acting against it. I believe that doing ‘my bit’ can tempt others to do their ‘bit’ and thereby change of directions of things that are moving in the wrong way.
No matter whether I’m passing a hard time or a happy time, I know for a fact that it is not going to last forever. But, I would continue to move about with things I love doing and be with people who inspired me to move forward. Life can never be as half so nice, if it is crowded with plans and becomes too predictable. I have seen so much and yet there is so much left to see. Finding inspiration in living makes the life a book that has many happy endings.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this, shows that you're truly content with who you are Daw. Way to go pudding! =)

    ReplyDelete